In The Name of Eternal Supervisor
Hossein Karshenas, PhD
Assistant Professor of Artificial Intelligence
Fields of Interest
· Estimation of Distribution Algorithms
· Computational Intelligence
· Multi-Objective Optimization
· Probabilistic Graphical Models
· Data Analytics and Modeling
· Intelligent Learning Systems
You can follow me on:
Bachelor in Computer Engineering
2002 – 2006
Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Master in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
2006 – 2009
Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran
PhD in Artificial Intelligence
2009 – 2013
Technical University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
· M. Fatehifar and H. Karshenas, “Drug-Drug interaction extraction using a position and similarity fusion-based attention mechanism”, Journal of Biomedical Informatics 115, pp. 103707, 2021.
· N. Imanpour, A.R. Naghsh-Nilchi, A.H. Monadjemi, H. Karshenas, K. Nasrollahi and T.B. Moeslund, “Representative dense feature learning for memory and time-efficient single image super-resolution”, IET signal processing 15(2), pp. 141 – 152, 2021.
· E. Hatefi, H. Karshenas and P. Adibi, “Conditional probability distribution divergence reduction in visual domain adaptation”, CSI Journal on Computer Science and Engineering 17(2), pp. 8 – 16, 2020.
· T. Ahmadi, H. Karshenas, B. Babaali and B. Alinejad, “Allophone-based acoustic modeling for Persian phoneme recognition” (in Persian), Signal and Data Processing 17 (3), pp. 37 – 54, 2020.
· E. Hatefi, H. Karshenas and P. Adibi, “Subspace Learning Augmented with Class Conditional Probability Estimation Based on SVM Classifier in Domain Adaptation”, Computer Society of Iran’s 25th International Computer Conference, pp. 1 – 7, 2020.
· M. Sharifiasn, H. Karshenas and S. Sharifiasn, “Improving Network Intrusion Detection by Identifying Effective Features using Evolutionary Algorithms based on Support Vector Machine” (in Persian), Computational Intelligence in Electrical Engineering 11 (1), pp. 29 – 42, 2020.
· N. Saeidi, H. Karshenas and H. M. Mohammadi, “Single Sample Face Recognition using Multi-Cross Pattern and Learning Discriminative Binary Features”, Journal of Applied Security Research 14(2), pp. 169 – 190, 2019.
· Z. Hanifelou, P. Adibi, S.A. Monadjemi and H. Karshenas, “KNN-based multi-label twin support vector machine with priority of labels”, Neurocomputing 322, pp. 177 – 186, 2018.
· N. Saeidi, H. Karshenas and H. M. Mohammadi, Learning multi-objective binary features for image representation, 7th International Conference on Computer and Knowledge Engineering (ICCKE 2017), pp. 1-6, 2017.
· A. Nikanjam and H. Karshenas, Multi-structure problems: Difficult model learning in discrete EDAs, IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), pp. 3448-3454, 2016.
· H. Karshenas, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Interval-based ranking in noisy evolutionary multi-objective optimization, Computational Optimization and Applications 61(2), pp. 517-555, 2015.
· H. Karshenas, R. Santana, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Multi-objective estimation of distribution algorithm based on joint modeling of objectives and variables, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 18(4), pp. 519-542, 2014.
· P. Larrañaga, H. Karshenas, C. Bielza and R. Santana, A review on evolutionary algorithms in Bayesian network learning and inference tasks, Information Sciences 233, pp. 109-125, 2013.
· H. Karshenas, R. Santana, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Regularized continuous estimation of distribution algorithms, Applied Soft Computing 13(5), pp. 2412-2432, 2013.
· H. Karshenas, R. Santana, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Continuous estimation of distribution algorithms based on factorized Gaussian Markov networks, In Markov Networks in Evolutionary Computation, volume 14 of Adaptation, Learning, and Optimization, pp. 157-173, Springer, Berlin, 2012.
· P. Larrañaga, H. Karshenas, C. Bielza and R. Santana, A review on probabilistic graphical models in evolutionary computation, Journal of Heuristics 18(5), pp. 795-819, 2012.
· H. Karshenas, R. Santana, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Multi-objective optimization with joint probabilistic modeling of objectives and variables, In Proceedings of Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, volume 6576 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 298-312, Springer, Berlin, 2011.
· H. Parvin, B. Minaei, H. Karshenas and A. Beigi, A new N-gram feature extraction-selection method for malicious code, In Proceedings of Adaptive and Natural Computing Algorithms, volume 6594 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 98-107, Springer, Berlin, 2011.
· R. Santana, H. Karshenas, C. Bielza and P. Larrañaga, Regularized k-order Markov models in EDAs, In Proceedings of 13th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO'11), pp. 593-600, ACM, 2011.
· H. Karshenas, A. Nikanjam, B.H. Helmi and A.T. Rahmani, Combinatorial effects of local structures and scoring metrics in Bayesian optimization algorithm, In Proceedings of First ACM/SIGEVO Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GEC 2009), pp. 263-270, ACM, 2009.
· E. Shahrian, H. Karshenas and M. Fathy, A similarity-window based background estimation approach, In Proceedings of IEEE/ACS International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA'08), pp. 623-628, 2008.
· (Advisor) Identification of hot topics and trends in information science and knowledge based on text mining techniques, MSc Thesis (Student: Elahe Akhavan-Hariri, Supervisor: Dr. Ali Mansouri), 2019 – 2020.
· (Advisor) Video semantic segmentation with deep neural networks and attention mechanism, MSc Thesis (Student: Mahdiye Mirmahdi, Supervisor: Dr. Amirhassan Monadjemi), 2018 – 2021.
· Many-objective estimation of distribution algorithms based on decomposition, MSc Thesis (Student: Farzaneh Hadifar), 2018 – 2021.
· Task-adaptive hyper variation operator for metaheuristics, MSc Thesis (Student: Najmeh Pourkhamisi), 2018 – 2020.
· (Advisor) Denotative forecast of energy consumption in road transportation (freight and passenger) using artificial neural networks: A case study in Iran, MSc Thesis (Student: Mahmood Monavari, Supervisor: Dr. Babak Saffari), Funded by National Iranian Oil Products Distribution Company (NIOPDC), 2018 – 2019.
· Drug-drug interaction detection from text using deep neural networks, MSc Thesis (Student: Mohsen Fatehifar), 2017 – 2020.
· Gait quality prognosis in children with cerebral palsy using neural networks, MSc Thesis (Student: Zahra Mousavi, Advisor: Hamid Reza Azadi), 2017 – 2019.
· Forecasting electricity consumption using household profile extraction, MSc Thesis (Student: Amin Hadi), with the cooperation of Esfahan Province Electricity Distribution Company (EPEDC), 2017 – 2019.
· Intrusion detection system based on estimation of distribution algorithms and support vector machine classifiers, MSc Thesis (Student: Masoud Sharifian), 2017 – 2019.
· (Advisor) Sentiment analysis of news articles for international stock price predictions, MSc Thesis (Student: Mohammad Ali Golshan, Supervisor: Dr. Ahmad Reza Naghsh-Nilchi), 2016 – 2019.
· (Advisor) Improving MBN-EDA with reference point-based selection methods, MSc Thesis (Student: Somayeh Ghadiri, Supervisor: Dr. Amin Nikanjam), 2016 – 2018.
· Learning multi-objective binary features for image representation and recognition, MSc Thesis (Student: Nemat Saeidi, Co-supervisor: Dr. Hossein Mahvash Mohammadi), 2016 – 2018.
· (Advisor) Modeling health tourism capital import using data mining methods, MSc Thesis (Student: Farzane Jahani Kaji, Supervisor: Dr. Mehran Rezaei), with the cooperation of Isfahan Fertility & Infertility Center, 2016 – 2017.
· Automatic broad and narrow transcription of read formal speech in Persian language based on phone recognition, MSc Thesis (Student: Tahere Ahmadi, Co-supervisor: Dr. Batool Alinejad), 2015 – 2018.
· Analysis and modeling of metaheuristic and evolutionary based search
Please contact me for more information
o Elham Mohammadnejad
o Sara Azima
o Parham Kazemi
o Ali Abedi
o Sajjad Esmaeili
o Esmaeil Zahedi
o Hoda Moradian
o Riyadh Tareq Alsaeidi
o Ahmed Ali Seihood
o Hadi Tabeolhojjah
o Hadi Shahmoradi (Advisor)
o Fatemeh Zarmehr (Advisor)
o Elham Hatefi
o Nasrin Imanpour (Advisor)
o Elahe Akhavan-Hariri (Advisor)
o Mahdiye Mirmahdi (Advisor)
o Farzaneh Hadifar
o Najmeh Pourkhamisi
o Mahmood Monavari (Advisor)
o Mohsen Fatehifar
o Zahra Mousavi Fakhr
o Amin Hadi
o Masoud Sharifian
o Mohammad Ali Golshan (Advisor)
o Somayeh Ghadiri (Advisor)
o Ali Fattahi (Advisor)
o Nemat Saeidi (Currently PhD student at Artificial Intelligence Department, University of Isfahan)
o Farzane Jahani Kaji (Advisor)
o Tahere Ahmadi (Currently PhD candidate at Linguistics Department, University of Isfahan)
Information Storage and Retrieval
Principles of Compiler Design
Advanced Computer Programming
Professional English in Computer Science
Fuzzy Sets and Systems
Probabilistic Graphical Models
Corpus Development, Management and Application
Artificial Intelligence Seminar
o IEEE Access, IEEE, 2018.
o IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2017.
o IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2012 – 2019.
o Journal of Computing and Security, University of Isfahan, 2015 – 2020.
o Information Sciences, Elsevier, 2013 – 2021.
o Memetic Computing, Elsevier, 2014.
o Automation in Construction, Elsevier, 2013.
o Fifth International Conference on Internet of Things and Its Applications (IOT2021), 19 – 20 May 2021, Isfahan, Iran, URL: https://iot2021.ui.ac.ir/en/
o 6th Conference on Signal Processing and Intelligent Systems (ICSPIS2020), 23 – 24 December 2020, Mashhad, Iran, URL: http://www.icspis.ir/
o Fifth National Conference on Computer Games: Challenges and Opportunities (CGCO2020), 19 February 2020, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://cgco2020.ui.ac.ir/en/
o Third International Conference on Internet of Things and Applications (IOT2019), 17 – 18 April 2019, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://iot2019.ui.ac.ir/en/
o Third National Conference on Computer Games: Challenges and Opportunities (CGCO2018), 14 February 2018, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://cgco2018.ui.ac.ir/en/
o 26th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE2018), 8 – 10 May 2018, Mashhad, Iran, URL: http://icee2018.sadjad.ac.ir/
o First International Conference on Internet of Things: Applications and Infrastructure (IOT2017), 19 – 20 April 2017, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://iot2017.ui.ac.ir:81/en/
o Second National Conference on Computer Games: Challenges and Opportunities (CGCO2017), 16 – 18 February 2017, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://cgco2017.ui.ac.ir:81/fa/
o First National Conference on Computer Games: Challenges and Opportunities (CGCO2016), 17 – 19 February 2016, Isfahan, Iran, URL: http://cgco2016.ui.ac.ir:81/fa/
o 14th International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2013), Special Session on Swarm Intelligence and Data Mining (SIDM 2013), October 20 – 23, 2013, Hefei, Anhui, China. URL: http://sidm2013.nclab.tw
Last Updated: May 24, 2021